Sunday, January 21, 2018

DECLARING THE CHOSEN SON- THE TORAH, THE PROPHETS, AND THE WRITINGS


God as a covenant keeping God extended his covenant to Israel as the foundation for Israel to build itself upon.  The Chief and corner-stone of this Kingdom is the pinnacle or Messiah- Jesus Christ.  In placing this stone, he demonstrates that the Messiah himself fulfills (property interprets and performs) the Torah, the Prophets, and the Writings of Israel.

When God declared his son to both the Jews in Israel or the Nephites in America, he upheld this same covenant pattern:

"And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased." Luke 3:22)

Understanding Hebrew and the manner of the Jews is showing itself to be very important. First we need to understand the use of 'remez' by the writers in the Gospels. They are actually referring the readers back to two different verses of scripture that declare the Messiah:

1. I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee. (Psalms 2:7)

2. The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he will magnify the law, and make it honourable (Isaiah 42:21)

This is normal Hebrew practice to cite part of the scripture to refer the hearer back to the the Prophets and the Writings that declare the King of Israel and the Messiah. Those who heard the Decree by the voice of God knew exactly what was being declared. Attempting to alter the declaration destroys the cultural delivery and message delivered i.e. pretty much Here is the King of Israel and the Messiah. There are distinct reasons why this was recorded the way it was.

The Book of Mormon got it correct:


"Behold my Beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased, in whom I have glorified my name—hear ye him."

THE WRITINGS- KETUVIM

Behold my Beloved Son -Refers to Psalms 2:7

I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee. (Psalms 2:7)

THE PROPHETS- NEVI'IM

whom I am well please in whom I have glorified my name - Refers to Isaiah 42:21

"The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he will magnify the law, and make it honourable" (Isaiah 42:21)

(common Hebrew practice- the Name is the law, the law is the name, etc)

FIVE BOOKS OF MOSES - TORAH

Hear ye Him- Shema Israel- Deuteronomy 6: 4-6

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart..." (Deuteronomy 6:4-6)

God declares his Chosen Son and the King of Israel according to the Torah, The Prophets, and the Writings of Israel.



No comments:

Post a Comment